- To get the discount, you must register to participate in the Scheme, using the application form.
- Applications can be made at any time using forms available by contacting the Air Discount Scheme (ADS) office, at airports, participating Travel Agents or by downloading the form below. Please allow up to 3 weeks for the application to be processed.
- Eligible persons of the same household can register for this scheme on one application form. All applicants 16 years old or over will each receive an individual ADS card.
- In order to apply for an ADS card you need to provide, a completed application form and proof of residence confirming that the address you are applying for is your main/permanent residence.
- Proof of residence: two official documents from different sources that clearly show that they have been sent to you with your full name and address and dated within 6 months. The documents can be photocopies as they are non-returnable and will be confidentially destroyed. We do not accept hand written documents or documents from third parties where the only purpose of the document is to state residency. Please note for an applicant that is 16 years old, we only require one proof of residence.
- Students who are studying away from home need to provide a copy of their student card and inform us of the expected length of their studies, along with their proof of residence.
- All application forms and appropriate proofs of residence should be posted to the ADS Team at Air Discount Scheme, PO Box 5715, Inverness, IV1 9AS or alternatively email the documents to email@example.com
- You will then receive an ADS card and PIN, which you should use when you book travel.
- The discount will be applied by the airline when you book trips on eligible routes.
- Travel can be booked directly with the airline (internet/telephone sales) or from affiliated travel agents.
Download the Air Discount Scheme Application form
Card Amendment Form Process
- For members wishing to change their details, such as address/name or adding dependent to their card under the age of 16, will need to print and complete a Card Amendment Form.
- In order to change your address we require two official documents as proof of residence, dated within the last six months, confirming that this is your permanent/main residence along with the Card Amendment Form.
Card Amendment Form -
Download the Air Discount Scheme Card Amendment Form (PDF, 15k)
Conditions of Membership
The Air Discount Scheme is available to all people ("eligible persons") 16 years and above whose main residence is in one of the defined eligible areas.
- Island of Colonsay
- Islay and Jura
- North-West Sutherland
- Orkney Isles
- Shetland Isles
- Western Isles
The scheme also includes students from these areas who are studying away from home, who will be asked to provide a copy of their student card and inform us the expected length of their studies. Please note the scheme does not include students that are studying in an eligible area but their main home is in an ineligible area.
There is no restriction on the number of trips per eligible person.
Documentary evidence is required to verify an address as a permanent/main residency.
- Onward connections to an airport outside the eligible areas or Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Bergen.
- Public Service Obligation (PSO) routes
- People whose permanent/main residence is not in the eligible areas
- NHS-funded trips
- People travelling for the purpose of business. Business related travel is considered any journey where there is a business component, regardless of whether there is also a leisure-related component
Terms and Conditions
AIR DISCOUNT SCHEME
MEMBERSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. General Information
The Air Discount Scheme (ADS) is a mechanism designed to deliver lower air fares for the residents of Scotland's remotest communities whose main residence is in an eligible area. The scheme is also open to students that are studying away from home out with the eligible area, but whose main residence is in the eligible area, see 3.1. The following are defined eligible areas:
Western Isles, Orkney Isles, Shetland Isles, Colonsay, Islay and Jura, Caithness and North West Sutherland.
In order to apply for an ADS card you need to provide, along with an original completed application form, proof of residence confirming that the address you are applying for is your main/permanent residence. Proof of residence: two official documents from different sources that clearly show that they have been sent to you with your full name and address and dated within 6 months. The documents can be photocopies as they are non-returnable and will be confidentially destroyed. We do not accept hand written documents or documents from third parties where the only purpose of the document is to state residency. Please note for an applicant that is 16 years old, we only require one proof of residence.
The Scheme provides Members with a 50% discount on their core air fare on ADS related routes.
An ADS related route means a route between 2 airports in the eligible areas or between the eligible areas and Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bergen or Inverness Airports. Those services covered by Public Service Obligations (PSO) and NHS funded trips are not eligible for the ADS discount.
The Scottish Government reserves the right to terminate or vary this agreement at any time without notice. The termination or variation will have immediate effect, irrespective of the proposed date of travel.
2. The Discount
Any member is eligible for a discounted fare on an ADS related route subject to the applicable terms and conditions of the relevant participating airline.
The Scottish Government accepts no responsibility for the contract between Members and the participating airline.
Only those whose permanent/main residence is within the eligible areas (including students studying away from home) can apply to the ADS Administration Team to become an ADS Member and be entitled to discounted fares. Students that are studying away from their permanent/main residence in an ineligible area need to provide a copy of their student card along with their proof of residence and inform us to expected length of their studies. This scheme is not for students studying in an eligible area but whose permanent/main residence is not in an eligible area.
The ADS permits persons under the age of 16 to be included in one or more cards of Members who have, on their application, declared themselves the legal guardian, parent or carer of those persons under 16 years of age.
4.1 Any changes to the Member's personal details, including, change of address, change of name, adding of dependents, should be notified at once to the ADS Administration Team at: Air Discount Scheme, PO Box 5715, Inverness, IV1 9AS or Freephone 0800 032 2890. Failure to inform the ADS Administration Team could result in your card being cancelled due to incorrect information being held and the card becoming invalid.
The ADS discount is applied to the core fare charged by participating airlines on an eligible route. Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges are not eligible for the ADS discount.
Discounted fares under the ADS are provided to Members by participating airlines at the time of booking. The Scottish Government is responsible for administrating and validating the card only and not for airline bookings.
6. Compliance and Misuse
Members should book ADS travel only for themselves or for any dependents included in their card. Members should not book ADS travel for non-members or allow their card to be used for this purpose. This will be considered card misuse.
Card misuse will be treated as a material breach of these Terms and Conditions and may lead to exclusion from the Scheme. The Scottish Government will seek to recover from the relevant Member, any discount received to which there was not an entitlement due to misuse of the card. Should a Member be unwilling or unable to follow these Terms and Conditions, they should refrain from making bookings under the scheme and return their membership card to the address provided in clause 4.1
As a scheme designed to facilitate a better level of social inclusion for individual scheme members, the ADS is not intended to extend to business-related travel. The Scottish Government has confirmed that business related travel will not be reimbursed under the scheme. Business related claims are considered any journey where there is a business component, regardless of whether there is also a leisure-related component.
Members are not eligible for a discount if they are travelling on Public Service Obligation (PSO) flights or NHS funded trips.
Group bookings - Members can only book as part of a group if their fare has not been funded or part funded by a third party.
7. Data Protection
To enable a booking to be validated, the participating airlines and approved travel agents are given limited access to Member's database held by the ADS Administrative Team, to enable them to match a Member's name with their card number and any dependents listed on their card.
Members consent for their information to be used for the purpose of processing applications, verification of membership by participating airlines and travel agents and also to the extent necessary for the maintenance of the Scheme.
Download the Air Discount Scheme Terms and Conditions